Yuvraj has been outstanding: Preity Zinta



Preity Zinta speaks on her Team's victory...

And now you're into the semi-finals?
Well, there were ups and downs when we started. For a while I wasn't sure where I was heading. I remember at the initial meetings for the IPL I'd wonder what I was doing.

It felt so different from being an actor. But I took the matter very seriously. I did all my homework before the meetings, carried these big bulky files that nearly broke my hand.

And yes, at one of these IPL meetings my eye was badly injured. But I finally came out a winner. Feels good. We've worked hard to get here.

Wednesday's match in Mumbai was really touch-and-go. Your team won by just 1 run?
It was really touch-and-go for us. My team played splendidly. But on Wednesday even Mumbai played very well. I got several small heart -attacks while the match went on.

I was doubly excited because Sachin was playing. And I'm his biggest fan. I was watching him live for the first time. It was a treat to watch him play.

But he was in the opposite team!
Yes. But to me it's not about just about one team winning over the other. Both the teams played really well on Wednesday. And I was so on the edge of the seat I nearly toppled over.

Did you have to brief Sreesanth to keep his temper in control?
No no. I don't instruct anyone. That's not my job. We've a coach and a captain to do what they have to do. And I don't think my intervention on what goes on during the matches would be proper.

You're the first woman from the entertainment business to have made such a name in the playing field.
Am I ? Let's see where we're heading. If my team wins the Cup then I can proudly say yes I've done it. It hasn't been easy. A lot of hard work has gone in.

There have been players from different countries merging in a never-before spirit of sportsmanship.And I've been right there trying to strike a balance among the various players and forces.

Looking back I don't know how we managed it. We've been taking it one step at a time. Now when we've made it to the semi-finals we really want that cup.

Quite naturally so.
When it wasn't the cup, we just wanted to make it to the semi-finals.

The competition is fierce.
I think the cricket we play at the IPL is a display of the game's skills at the grassroot players. Look at the democratic spirit of our team. A young local player getting to play with an international star of cricket.

What have you gained personally from the experience?
I'm learning a lot about cricket. Every day I pray hard and cross my fingers and hope our team will get the Cup. Earlier I used to go to the matches and just hope our team will play well. Now I want them to really excel and win.

I sit nervously watching. But our boys are performing really well. Our team has had its highs and lows. But overall they've been playing well. I'm proud of them. Yuvraj has been an outstanding captain.

0 comments: